Friday 30 March 2012

Imogen

As mentioned previously, my daughter Imogen  is twelve and she has just started high school at a posh place called Stuartholme.

Immy has been asked to deal with a lot; more than is fair for any twelve year old.

Last September, Immy's mum told her that her dad was going to die. At the time, he was. It was almost certain.

Early last year, Immy experienced the pleasure of seeing her home sitting in a lake of stinky floodwater seven feet deep. She was asked to move in with my sister for a few days and then into temporary accommodation for six months whilst our house was repaired. She never complained. She made friends with a few of the other flood refugee kids, once of whom is now her BFF. I think that means Best Friend Forever. I'm learning to speak teenager.

Immy has a brother with autism. She loves him dearly and he thinks she is wonderful. She has taught him to play basic games with her, a process that required an adult dose of patience, understanding and empathy. She understands when he is in a position of risk and how to deal with it. She defends him fiercely whenever she thinks someone is acting contrary to his interests.

Immy is a bright girl. She speaks and writes articulately, with wit and perception. She has joined the school debating team and is relishing the role of third speaker. This requires her to think on her feet and change her game plan as and when circumstances demand. She is good at that.

Immy has always been a seriously talented artist. From the age of two she was sketching recognisable objects. By about seven she was painting like an adult. I have lots of Immy's artwork on the wall of my hospital room and it cheers me immensely.

After she started High School, I asked Immy her favourite subject and she replied, "Class clownism". She got that from The Simpsons, which is her social reference point for everything. When told that I was getting a heart transplant she observed that I was just like Moe, who apparently has a cow's heart. I am hoping that my doctors will not be compelled to attempt xenotransplantation but if so, Immy and Moe will be able to guide them through it.

I believe that Immy would make a good lawyer but she considers the idea anathema. Smart Girl.


Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. She has coped with everything life has thrown at her with incredible strength. Beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is ok Paul, this post made me smile, so Jim can relax for today.

    T xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been impressed with Imogen's grace, intelligence and coping skills from across the world. She is a lovely girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, but you still haven't quite redeemed yourself. Keeping trying. Maybe you can work on the non-negotiable rule that requires all readers to acknowledge my wit and omnipotence frequently and fervently.

      Delete
  4. Have had trouble posting this comment!

    I remember that day in September, that night we sat around your dining table acknowledging, for want of a better word, my fiftieth birthday. Immy showed an amazing composure and manner that night that demonstrated all of her best qualities. You and Camilla have every right to be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed proud of Imogen. She is a remarkable young lady. And I know full well that you got into my good wine that night. The other bottles told me.

      Delete