Friday 1 June 2012

Family Ties

There is no place like home. Believe you me, those simple words are pure poetry.

My body is progressing very well. The biopsy results remain good and the healing continues at a rapid pace. All is on track for a full recovery. These are still early days but things are going well. There remains much ahead and I am resigned to the inevitability of further setbacks and snags. Little man with a big job.

I am starting to realise that I have been cloistered away from the world for a very long time. I am now learning of interesting things that happened in the world during my absence from it. Last week I discovered for the first time that Gaddafi had been killed. Then I learned that the Act of Succession had been amended to allow a first born female heir to ascend to the throne. I missed the entire Rugby World Cup, which was probably a good thing. I started seeing advertisements for a thing called BUPA and had absolutely no idea what it was. Eventually I understood that it was the new MBF.


On Tuesday, we had another busman's holiday to a hospital. This time we opted for a short stay at the Mater Childrens. Charlie had found one of my tablets that I had inadvertently dropped. My hands are very shaky and I have been finding simple motor tasks very difficult. Nonetheless, to Charlie it was a hot pink lolly and Camilla caught him sucking on it. I called Dr Brown and he pointed us in the right direction, calmly and confidently. My cardios are wonderful blokes and always give that little extra. I am very fortunate to be under their management.

Charlie spent a few hours under observation and was discharged. He had not ingested much of the tablet and was not exhibiting any symptoms or distress. It was a lesson learned for me. I have to be obsessive and precise with my medication. Nothing can be left to chance.

My being at home places a burden on Camilla, in addition to the responsibilities that come with Imogen and Charlie. The woman has a mighty cross to bear. She is, was, and always will be, the Rock of Gibraltar. Anyone who has met her will vehemently agree. It does make me feel guilty to be waited on hand and foot. I suppose I need to channel my inner Lebanese man. I've got to get a gold chain for my medic alert medallion so why not go all in?

Now that the maelstrom has lifted, I'd like to express my thanks to family, both mine and Camilla's. We have received immeasurable support from our families during these troubled times. We could not have got to this point without you.

I start, arbitrarily, with my parents, sisters and brother in law. We have always been a close family but if anything this has drawn us closer. My parents have made countless trips from Toowoomba to visit me or assist Camilla at home. Shelley and Casey have done whatever was needed and more. Danielle put her life on hold until the heart came through. It's been a hard slog for them all, but they've weathered the storm. I knew they would. Growing up, my sisters and I watched a bad eighties television program called Family Ties. In many respects, we were spookily similar to the three Keaton children. Yes, I was a lot like Mallory back then!

Camilla's family have been wonderful throughout. Marion too has been a rock. I'll dub her the Rock of Cashel. She'd like that. Andrew and Julie have been magnificent. They don't just say they want to help. They do it, and do it well and frequently. Bill, Tessa and Minnie have showered us with prayers, gifts, cards, flowers, visits and good spirits.

I have a very large extended Lebanese/Irish Catholic family. I have been overwhelmed by the support I have received from them. I come from very fine stock indeed. I have really appreciated the many visits, prayers and calls. It makes me very proud to call these people my family. Special mention must go to my grandparents. I was very close to each of them whilst growing up, and am all the better for it. Nan is an inspiration and I am looking forward to visiting her in Toowoomba for a chat and a cup of strong tea. We both got this far so we both must be doing something right. During my hospital stay I have also thought a lot about my other late grandmother, Eva Betros. My Sitti was a very special woman and I was privileged to deliver the eulogy at her funeral. Sitti showed me how to be strong and patient, with good humour, under difficult circumstances. My grandparents and parents were, and are, people of the highest calibre and well prepared me to be resilient when times got tough. Add Camilla to the equation and there's nothing we cannot endure and withstand.


I've asked Camilla to pen the next post, so that she can tell you a little about her late father, Bill Dent. Bill was a great source of inspiration for Camilla during our ordeals and I was privileged to know him for a brief period before he died. Bill would be very proud of his little girl at the moment. Always was.



Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. As a typical youngster I always wanted to be out and about, so could never understand why mum would say there's no place like home. Home was boring...or so I thought.

    It took me years to understand that home is the only place that I can relax, unwind and be truly comfortable. I now know that mum was as right as any person could be.

    For someone like yourself with all that you've been through, I can only imagine how significant being "at home" is...and I'm so very happy for you guys.

    I look forward to Camilla's post.

    God bless
    Jen Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family Ties was a good, no great television show from the 80's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always had a massive crush on Mallory, and now you've gone and ruined it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Camilla- the pressure is on her now! So great to read about you being home again Paul. I am looking froward to seeing you back where you belong, when Stephen and I fly home for your birthday party next year.

    ReplyDelete