Wednesday 23 May 2012

Elvis has left the building

Yesterday afternoon, after 260 long and arduous days in confinement, I was finally released from Desolation Row. I am now at home.

I am officially the 329th heart transplant performed in Queensland. Well done to my medical team. You are the best, bar none.

I have no idea who my donor was or the circumstances of death. But I do express my eternal thanks to him (or her) and the family who made the decision to donate the heart under the most difficult of circumstances. You saved my life. You made a profound difference.

I feel a little like Rip van Winkle. The world seems to have changed. My children have grown and matured since I last remember spending significant time with them. Imogen has become a beautiful teenager and Charlie a tall little boy.

It's great to be back in my own house. My life is no longer bed-centric. I can rest, recuperate and rehabilitate on terms closer to my own. I can help Imogen with her homework and read Charlie his bedtime stories. I can enjoy a cup of coffee with Camilla on my own sofa. Simple pleasures indeed.

The family is delighted to have me home. Charlie was surprised to see me when he woke up. He said, "Daddy not in hospital. Daddy is at home." Thanks, AEIOU. Those words were priceless gems.

My movements are still very restricted as a consequence of the pecs flap surgery. You'd be surprised how often you need to use your arms. Actually, you probably wouldn't. Nonetheless, we are getting by and it is only temporary. Another month and I'll be free from the restrictions. It's a small price to pay in the big scheme of things.

On the cardio front everything is going extremely well. The three biopsies I've had have all produced great results. It's early days but all signs are that the new heart is a great match. My body has recovered well and I am on track to return to a normal life.

I need to accept that this will take months of recovery. It must be measured and slow. My body has a massive job to do and I just need to give it time and space to do it.

It is important that I avoid infection as my immune system is now suppressed. This is difficult given that it is now cold and flu season. I must be zealous in washing my hands and avoiding sick people.

We organised a couple of removal trucks to transport a month's worth of my drugs from hospital to home. It is a staggering number of pills that I put into my body every day. This will improve over time.  I will get into a routine and just get on with things.

Life will not be the same. That's part of the deal and non-negotiable. The old road is no longer able to be travelled and I must embrace the new one. It can still be long and fulfilling.



Until next time,


13 comments:

  1. Great news Paul, although we are strangers to one another, my family and I have been following your story and are so happy that you are now back at home. All the best.
    Renee (Mandy's sister).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're now just got to get Mandy through. She'll get there. She's made of the right stuff.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are home Paul. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are finally back where you belong Paul, the circe is complete again. I am sure Camilla slept well last night- all her beloved family under one roof again. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tessa Tessa Tessa, how often do we need to tell you to poof read before you post! But well said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three million cheers. Your Teddington supporters are delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, fantastic news. We are all thinking of you.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations...we too have been following your progress from afar...may the good news continue to flow....Thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    Rob and Angela Hannemann(Bell)
    ps hoping that you get this....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing news! So glad to hear you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In all my years of nursing on the Transplant Unit I have many treasured moments, but some very special, and one that will be etched in my memory is of you, Paul and Camilla, leaving the ward at last. I thank you for the honour of looking after you for so long and I hope you have a long and happy life with your wonderful family. Good luck. Charlie will speak many many more words to you and Immie will make you very proud too. Take care, Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget. I am thankful for the wonderful nursing I received in 1B and will even miss you guys a little! Perhaps I did become a tad institutionalized.

      Delete
  10. At Last!

    Farewell Paul. Have a happy and healthy life with Camilla, Immy and Charlie.
    In hospital you lived with considerable strength of character and humour which added to why your health team are so fond of you.

    Congratulations! from your nurse Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I'm pleased to say that I kept my sanity. Any more than that was a bonus.

      Delete