Monday 14 May 2012

Forbidden fruits

As you will well know from previous posts (and I am sure you have read them all) there are certain dietary restrictions that go with being an organ recipient. And that's what I now am. So, ipso facto they should apply to me. Like any good lawyer, I am looking for loopholes and generous interpretations.

These restrictions exist because my immune system is now greatly suppressed. Forever. So as clever lawyer boy as I would like to be, the rules are the rules.

I cannot have natural oysters. But I love them! Thanks to the crew at Morgans for officially serving me my last six natural Pacific oysters. They were exquisite.

I cannot have uncooked salami. But I love it! Thanks to the guys at Amici Deli for officially serving me my last uncooked salami roll. It was divine. Will be back there soon for a cooked one.

I cannot enjoy soft cheese. But I love it! Thanks to Kate Schwarz for supplying me with my last slab of soft cheese. It was delightful.

I cannot have a rare steak. But I love it lots! Thanks to the Chermside Tavern for my last rare steak. It was very good indeed.

I cannot eat sashimi. But I love it so much! Thanks to Sono for my last sashimi boat. The little guys just sailed into my tummy.

Worst of all, I can no longer partake in the traditional Lebanese delicacy kibbeh nayeh. It's like a steak tartare, only much better. I will not describe it as to do so would make me want to cry. So sincere thanks to Marilyn and Jacki Trad, and their delivery boy Damien Atkinson, for giving me an enormous plate of this unspeakably wonderful food before I got the transplant. It was magnificent.

I really cannot complain. There are so many things I can have. I can have any of the above if properly cooked. I am alive and armed with another shot at life. That's a pretty good deal.


Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. At least you will be safe with the hospital slops for your short time left at the hotel Prince Charles, Paul. The meat could never be described as rare, nor the cheese soft! As for oysters, the nearest one would get is the rectangular shaped fish fillet with a spot of curry sauce over it (on a Friday of course!)
    I am enjoying your recovery each day on ward 1B.You continue to be an inspiration to all the nusing staff. Your "Supernurse",Rachel will get you to a speedy and timely discharge.
    Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a strange way I will miss this place.

      Delete
  2. It's great to see you back to your quick-wicked, articulate and hilarious self so soon after the transplant. Finally your homecoming is in sight, not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you're really saying Paul, is that you have to eat like a pregnant woman. Now perhaps you'll have more sympathy for all your wife went through ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I now have the ultimate comeback for women who tell their partners that they underestimate pregnancy. Men get transplants too.

      Delete