Monday 14 May 2012

A good heart these days is hard to find

Yes, I know it's a dreadful post title. Revolting song. The sort of thing the anti-Dylan would sing. But who among you will challenge it to be apt?  My mate Nick Ferrett came up with an alternative analogy based on a Madonna song. Enough said.

I blame the title on the drugs I am presently funnelling through my body. I intend to retain one of the major Accountancy firms to calculate the precise number I take every day. This will come down over time but for the moment it's breakfast with a bucket of drugs (literally), followed by a few drugs through the day and then finished with dinner and drugs. I think I did die in theatre. I have been reincarnated as Keith Richards.

I am now back with my good pals in Ward 1B. We are working on a timetable for a release date. All going well, I will be home soon.

The heart is going well. I have now have two biopsies and both indicate that we do not have any realistic rejection issues at this stage.

What's a biopsy, you ask? Good question. A biopsy is a pleasant little procedure whereby a cardiologist will put a tool through your neck, reach into the heart, snip out a few little morsels and retrieve them for examination. For the next few weeks, I have them weekly. Like most things medical, they are nowhere near as gruesome as they sound. Quite the opposite to practising law, where a simple document can be made horrendously complex with little effort.

I must say that I got a major thrill watching my new heart beating strongly and independently on the monitor in theatre. It was an amazing thing to experience.

I am now back into rehab. My strength is returning quickly and each day I can do more. Lisa remains a harsh taskmaster. This is God's punishment for every glass of wine I have ever drunk.

Moreover, I am now almost completely free from all attachments. It's now just one little drain. This would be wonderful if I could use my arms. For the next few weeks, I must keep the arms immobile. I can still eat, type and brush my teeth. I just cannot put any weight through the arms. Yes, it is as difficult as you expect. This is God's punishment for every glass of beer I have ever drunk.

You should be thankful I am permitted to type. I was not going to resort to channelling Christy Brown to keep you updated.

I caught up with Noel yesterday. He is doing amazingly well. If I am doing this well in a month I shall be very pleased indeed.

More good news lies in the fact that Mandy has now gone home with her VAD to wait for a heart. This is a much better option than hospital for anyone, let alone a twenty year old. You'll get there, girl. You will.

One of the many drugs I am taking is a thing called Prednisone. It's a steroid and I am putting it down in massive doses. This, for me, can be best explained in the words of Kramer. "I'm on no sleep, Jerry. No sleep."

 I get around four hours of sleep a night. I suppose that's a lawyer's sleep in.


Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. That's more sleep than you used to get in the halcyon days of R&C!

    Do you have some mindless stuff to do to try and relax whilst fighting those drug antsies?? I will try and think of some things to send you (but not a cd of frogs in rainforest or anything)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep has never been my strong suit, but doing OK now. With limited arm usage the only thing I can think of doing is Irish dancing. Best to Luke and Edward. Will get down to see you as soon as circumstances allow.

      Delete
  2. "A Good Heart" is an excellent song and Feargal Sharkey is sadly under-rated. I have the song on my i-pod now and will happily prove it to you whenever you get recalcitrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feargal Sharkey is cool; that is a given. Anyone who was in the Undertones is cool for life. And A Good Heart is a fine eighties song. Don't argue with Camilla.

    ReplyDelete