Friday 11 May 2012

Lady and I look out tonight from Desolation Row

I woke up slowly in ICU. For a while, I remained on breathing support. It took ages for the doctors to allow me to breath real air. It was all I wanted to do but they denied me this indulgence for an eternity.

The Impaler was no more. I knew not where it went nor cared how it may have gotten there. I felt far from free. I was attached to a multiple of drains and machines. I felt more helpless and restricted than I had for many months previous. The dream of being a free man remained just that.

I was tired. Wasted in fact. This hardly seemed the defining moment it had promised to be.

Nonetheless, I had a new heart inside me. One that Dr Thomson described as a very good match. This was enough. All else would pass. The new heart would last.

Camilla was with me. Probably for days. I could not fathom the passage of time.

I do recall Camilla telling me we'd made it. I told her I loved her. We looked out over Desolation Row. I can recall little else.



Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Even though we've never met, Shaylee passed on your blog a few months back and I loved reading it. I nearly cried when she told me you had received a new heart. I was so excited for you and your family. A new start. Perhaps as a writer ;o)? Seriously though, all the best for your recovery which I am sure, although long,will be very welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a nanosecond I thought about trading a well paid and fulfilling career in law for the uncertainty, poverty and romance of being a writer. I think I'll stick with the law. Good to hear from you. All is going well.

      Delete