Saturday 7 April 2012

The fourteenth post

I am hurriedly pushing through a short fourteenth post because I don't want to be stuck on thirteen.

One of my cardiologists saw Pinochet today and was impressed that the wound continues to heal nicely. He is a young Doogie Howser type doctor who must be almost ready to start shaving. Nonetheless, he is very good and I have complete trust and confidence in him.

Souths won again on Thursday. A good omen, but a few of our superstars have now sustained serious long term injuries.

I am in the middle of a brutal game of computer Scrabble with my mother in law. I will get home this afternoon to finish her off. I tabled an eight letter word on my second go and had formed another using all my letters on my fourth - reunions. It hung off chin to form chino. It straddled a triple word score and would have netted me over a hundred points. She objected and the computer upheld her objection. After it had allowed her footle and eek. Is chino a fair word in Scrabble? Gerard, please help me out here, buddy. I'm miles ahead of her but anything short of a bloodbath will be unacceptable.

I make the compelling submission that chino raised no concern with my spell checker this morning. Footle however did not make muster. I rest my case.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. This comment is from Mum, not me :-)

    Hi Paul,

    I hope you're wearing your chinos and don't spill your morning tea over the nurses! Anyway, I'll stop this footling about now. One word which you may like to use in the future is "xandjeros" which the computer suggested when I asked it for my best word. If I weren't the world's best mother-in-law I'd be looking up all the words in the computer dictionary but as it wouldn't let me use "rape" I'm not talking to it any more. See you soon, Marion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computer scrabble is dead to us, since the day it wouldn't allow me peaty or piety. Initially, Nick was reluctant to abandon this pseudo-impartial referee, but wisdom prevailed, and he realised that divorce can be a very expensive seven letter word, especially if you can't find a good lawyer (which, we note has only six letters, but jolly good if you can hang it on a triple word score).

      Min x

      Delete