Thursday 12 April 2012

Pinochet vanquished

Today I received some excellent news. My sternum wound, the evil Pinochet, will not require reconstructive surgery. The vacuum dressing has been removed and awarded a medal of valour. I now have a soft dressing in place, with no discomfort and no restrictions upon my arm and shoulder mobility. The wound is expected to fully heal of its own volition. The dictator is living in exile, a broken and powerless man.

On the down side, I got sick on painkillers again. I react very badly to many painkillers. They make me dizzy, nauseous and sweaty and induce horrendous vomiting. It's like getting badly drunk back in the student days, without the preceding good time. We have now tried Endone, Fentonil, Tramedol and Hydro Morphine. Each has caused the same reaction, to some degree. It is important that we find an effective painkiller before the transplant surgery. My delightful pharmacist, Suzanne, is assiduously working on the problem and I am confident she will come up with an answer.

Well done to my team at work for a resounding win in Court yesterday. They prepared the case quickly, clinically and thoroughly. They even indulged the old man to participate with a bit of strategy and research.

I am now back on antibiotics because my VAD wounds have been bleeding profusely. They required four dressings over 24 hours. I suspect that in the dying days of the regime, Pinochet sent a few troops across the border to wreck some mayhem. Nothing I haven't dealt with before so no biggie in the scheme of things.

Oh, I've been forgetting to mention the outcome of the Scrabble game with my mother in law. Please don't draw an adverse inference from my silence on the topic. I beat her by 99 points. She is a decent player so I was pretty chuffed and have now officially retired from the game. She can foist her contrived non-words upon the rookie crowd.

Until next time,

9 comments:

  1. Excellent news Paul - and the good news is that post Pinochet, Chile is the strongest economy in South America! All bodes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,
    I am glad that Pinochet has ended his reign, as I said to you today.
    But on the downwardside, I was sorry to see your reaction to the increased dose of painkiller this afternoon. Not a good "test run" I reckon. Hope you are well tomorrow.
    You continue to be an inspiration to care for as one of your nurses. Your resilience and positive attitude is second to noe.
    You must get a heart soon, Paul,
    Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Bridget!
      You are second to none Paul. You invoke admiration and inspiration for us nurses who have the priveldge of looking after you.
      What strength of character. It's quite a subject spoken around the transplant unit here.
      Luckily there's also a pletora of different types of pain killers, as we'd hate to see you in any pain. As you say, Suzanne is on to it. And..
      Bring on an O-neg heart!

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys. I try to be as nice as possible to my nurses because, as Joe Ganim says about lawyering, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Seriously though, I am being well looked after by my nurses and you are a great advertisement for our much maligned public hospital system.

      Delete
  3. Hi Paul,

    It seems to me, when I read their replies, that you must have the loveliest nurses- you have obviously met some inspirational people since you began this ordeal.

    Goodbye Pinochet.( I wish I couod think of something witty to say, but it is too late at night for me to be clever)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy with this news Paul - both Pinochet and scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul

    So very glad you whupped the old woman at scrabble - in one short match you revenged us all for years of childhood trauma. It's a pitiful sight to see a five year old weeping over a rack of vowels while its mother punches the air and calculates her latest triple word score.

    We thank you.

    Min x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt the story is true. Even the computer hates her. It even had the audacity to put chino on the board against her! When she visits you again you need to batter her mercilessly. And beat her at Scrabble too.

      Delete
    2. I remember playing Monoply with Minnie the first time. She was shocked the fact that the game did not finish with the board being thrown....Games in the Dent household seem to be taken somewhat seriously.

      Delete