Tuesday 10 April 2012

Odds and Ends

It's time to give a general update as to the State of the Union here on Desolation Row.

I managed to get home each afternoon for the four days which comprised the Easter break. This was exhausting but very worthwhile. There is no place like home. There really isn't.

I managed to catch up with many family and a few friends, including Camilla's brother in law and nephew on holiday from England. Many thanks to the crew who assembled the new trampoline. Charlie loves it and Camilla has told me that he will often go out onto the deck just to check that it is still there.

Imogen is enjoying the school holidays and is spending much time with friends on shopping trips and sleepovers. She still make time for her Dad.

Charlie enjoyed his first Easter egg hunt, organised by his cousins. It was exhilarating to watch him participate in a structured game he understood, played with other children. He even chose to sit with the kids for lunch, rather than his Mummy. Giant strides.

Thanks to my parents for bringing down to Brisbane some of the traditional Lebanese food we eat over Easter. Each Good Friday, my Auntie Marie cooks a dish called kibbet rawhab. It is a bitter soup containing beans, chickpeas, onions, lemon and vinegar which the Maronites believe was given to Christ on the Cross. For as long as I can remember, my grandmother made the dish each year. Since her death, Marie has assumed the role. The dish is meant to be endured, rather than enjoyed, to remind the faithful of Christ's suffering. Personally, I find it delicious and eat it by the bowlful. 

I could not see my sister Danielle because she is recovering from whooping cough. Hopefully I will be able to catch up very soon.

Noel is recovering well and is expected to return to the Ward very shortly. It has been deathly quiet in his absence.

Pinochet continues to heal well and there is no talk of any pecs surgery. It has not been ruled out, but is no longer being discussed. This is progress.

The VAD wounds continue to bleed heavily and lightly on and off for no apparent reason. I have suggested stigmata but my doctors are skeptical.

All the while, I continue to wait. And wait. And wait. Some things just have to be toughed out.


Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Thank you for this latest entry. It truly warms my heart to picture little Charlie participating in an Easter egg hunt with his cousins and sitting at the children's table. He really is making amazing progress. Mum, Dad and I thoroughly enjoyed having Charlie up here in Toowoomba last week. We enjoyed it almost as much as Charlie enjoyed pouring my Alberta Ferreti perfume down the toilet. On the up side Mum commented that the toilet has never smelt so good.
    Seriously he's a beautiful, special little boy and if his exploits on the jumping castle at Little Legs are any indication, that trampoline must be just fantastic for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie adores his Auntie Danni and pouring your perfume down the toilet is high praise.

      Delete
  2. You are making such amazing strides on you journey to wellness Paul and your patience and endurance in coping with such a major life changing experience continues to amaze Ronnie and myself.

    We are so in awe of you as a human being and as our son that you make us cry with pride and sadness that this just had to happen. God bless and I know that the new beginning cannot be far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. I couldn't have got this far without you and Dad. We'll get there. Truly we will.

      Delete